Friday, 29 October 2010

Ellurandai - sesame seed ball

Sesame is rich in iron and it is a nutritious food for women. Ellurundai is a simple, delicious snack and a traditional food made in rural Tamil Nadu or other wise called gramathu samayal. As it helps in regulating menstruation, pregnant women are not allowed to eat this. I  remember gorging on these ellurundai eveytime my grandmother makes it during vinayagar chaturthi. She uses it as a filling  for the kolukkattai and the left over sesame mix is made into balls and it won’t last even for a day, with me moving around the kitchen, until it gets over. There is another version of this called chimmli, which my mother makes using ragi along with sesame, which also is believed to regulate menstruation.
 Ingredients
1.Black Sesame - 2cups
2.Grated Jaggery - 1cup

Method
1. Wash and soak sesame for an hour. Drain the water and let it dry ( or straightaway start roasting in a kadai, as it is roasted the water will evaporate and become dry)
2. Dry roast the sesame, till it crackles and becomes crunchy.
3. when it is cool, run the sesame in a mixer, add grated jaggery and grind again only until everthing is well mixed. Transfer to a plate and make balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...