Monday, 18 October 2010

Sambhar Sadham - Bisi bele bath

The first time I made this rice was 15 years back, when I was learning to cook. My mother and grandmother loved it so much that I was asked to make it again many times. Now it is my son’s favourite vegetarian food. Bisi bele bath is a popular food in Karnataka, there are so many versions, since everybody liked this, I have stuck to this recipe. Though I have lost the original recipe 10 years ago, I have been making from what I can recollect from my memory.


Ingredients
1. Par boiled rice - 1cup
2. Thuvar dal -1/2 cup
3. Shallots -1/2 cup
4. Vegetables - 200 gms
  (Either drumstick and brinjal or carrot, peas and potatoes)
5. Red chilly -5
6. Coriander seeds - 11/2 tbsp
7. Bengal gram - 1tsp
8. Urad dal - 1tsp
9. Fenugreek seeds - 1/2tsp
10. Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
11. Tamarind - a small lemon sized ball soaked in 1/2 cup water
12. Turmeric powder - 1/2tsp
13. Asafoetida - 1/4tsp
14. Cloves -2
15. Cinnamon -2 small pieces
16. Ghee - 1 1/2tsp
17. Cashew
18. Mustard+urad dal -1tsp
19. Curry leaves - few



Method
1. Wash and cook, rice and dal in 6 cups of water with turmeric powder, asafoetida and 1/2tsp of ghee in a pressure cooker. (It takes 15 minutes)
2. Combine Red chilly, coriander seeds, bengal gram, urad dal, cloves, cinnamon and fenugreek seeds and roast in few drops of oil.
3. Roast coconut in little oil for a 2 minutes and powder along with the roasted spices.
4. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard+urad dal and curry leaves.
5. Add sliced shallots, saute until it is cooked. Add the vegetables, half cup of water and cook.
6. When the vegetables are cooked add tamarind water and when it begins to boil, add the spice powder, mix well and remove from heat.
7. Mash the cooked rice and dal lightly. Add the vegetable mixture to the rice, mix well and on low heat stir until everything is well incorporated.
8. Heat ghee and roast the cashews a few curry leaves and pour on the sambhar rice. Serve hot, with pappadam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...