Monday, 15 November 2010

Pudalangai Kootu - Snake gourd curry

Back in the 90’s, I dreaded coming home on saturday afternoons after school, because I know for sure what’s going to be for lunch, KOOTU and APPALAM. I don’t know if it was my mother’s favourite or the ladies at home found it easy to make, this combo was repeated many times a week, which only made me hate this delicious curry and most of the time I preferred finishing my lunch at my friends home. So my simple advice would be,  however delicious a food may be, do not repeat it often, because people will lose interest in the food very soon.

Ingredients
1. Onion -1(large)
2. Tomato - 1
3. Green Chilly - 3
4. Bengal gram - 1/2cup
5. Turmeric powder - 1/2tsp
6. Coconut - 3tbsp
7. Cumin - 1tsp
8. Snake gourd - 250gms
9. Mustard + urad dal -1tsp
10. Curry leaves, salt
11. Oil - 2tsp


1. Cook bengal gram in a pressure cooker and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, crackle mustard + urad dal, curry leaves and add sliced onion, saute’ until it is cooked.
3. Add chopped tomato and stir until the tomato is cooked. Add chopped snake gourd, turmeric powder, salt and a cup of water and cook the vegetables.
4. Make a paste of coconut, cumin, green chillies and add it to the boiling curry. Add cooked bengal gram to the curry and mix well.
5. Cook for another 5 minutes on low heat until everything is well incorporated.
6. Garnish with Curry leaves and coriander leaves and serve with rice or chappathi.
7. Serve the kootu with white rice and appalam or pappadam. It is good to eat with rasam. The spicy, tangy rasam actually adds a lot of taste to the kootu which is other wise slightly bland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...