I have always loved orange flavoured chocolates and cakes. It has the quality to enhance the taste of any food that it is incorporated into. This is one of my favourite, not for its flavour alone, but for its spongy texture too. I have never had a cup cake decorated with any kind of frosting and I think this orange cup cake surely does not require any adornment. Orange cakes seem to have the quality of tasting better on the next day of baking, so to relish the rich flavour of orange save some and try it the next day.
Flour 100 gms
Sugar 100 gms
Unsalted Butter 100 gms
Baking powder 1tsp
Baking soda 1/4tsp
Orange zest 1tsp
Orange juice 50 ml
1. Preheat oven at 180*C
2. Beat Butter and sugar until soft.
3. Add in eggs one by one and beat until fluffy.
4. Add in vanilla and orange zest. Beat to mix.
5. Add in flour mixture and beat on low speed, only till everything is mixed.
6. Add in the juice and beat again for two-seconds for the juice to get mixed in.
7. Spoon the mixture in paper cups, sprinkle lightly toasted and chopped almonds and bake for 15 minutes at 180*C.
8. Makes about 15 cup cakes.
1. I used powdered sugar.
2. When adding flour, do not beat for a long time, if done so the cakes will become hard. So, to avoid over beating, can fold in the flour using a spatula by hand.