Thursday, 28 April 2011

Croissant and Pains au chocolat

                                        It had been a difficult task to get yeast in this city for the past few months, as most of the shops seemed to have run out of stock. I had hard time persuading a local baker to part with a small amount of his precious yeast. After possessing this rare commodity, I wanted to make the best use of it and as both the men in the house voted for croissant, I was happy to make this beautiful croissant and pains au chocolat.



                                       The quantity of butter used in Croissant has always  restrained me from making it. But there was this burning desire to give it a try and finally when I set to make it I had this festive mood, that engulfed me throughout the process, which I thoroughly enjoyed it. I can’t explain exactly how I felt, when the room was filled with the aroma of the croissant when it was baking at around 11.30 pm  and when we had our first bite a little before 12 am, unable to wait till breakfast time. But, all that hard work, excitement and the sight of that big slab of butter, made me sick the next day and killed my appetite, but was content watching others enjoy every bite of it.


               There are numerous videos out there and I found this site sousoukitchen-en.over-blog.com very helpful. I have made some slight adjustments from the original recipe.


Ingredients
Flour                          250 g
Yeast                          1 tbsp
Unsalted Butter       125 g
Salt                            1/2 tsp
Sugar                         3 tbsp
Water                         120 ml
Milk                           100 ml
Chocolate + 1 egg



Method for Croissant
Sprinkle yeast over warm water.
Add salt, sugar, yeast, water and milk to the flour and knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
Form a ball, transfer to a lightly greased bowl, cover and let it rest for 2 hours.
Place the butter in a plastic sheet, cover with another and flatten it to form a square and let it chill in  the fridge.
Sprinkle some flour and roll the dough to form a square, place the butter in the middle and fold the dough around the butter to enclose it completely.
Flip it upside down, dust some some flour, roll into a rectangle.
Fold dough into thirds from one end and same way from the other end( both the ends meeting in the centre) and close it like a book.
Roll again to form  a rectangle, fold into three and leave it in fridge for 30minutes.
Repeat the same for 3 times ( rolling into a rectangle, folding into three, chill ).
Finally, dust the dough and roll to a square, divide into half.
Cut triangle shapes  in one half of the sheet.
Make a small slit at the broad side of the triangle and start rolling, holding the two edges to form a croissant shape.

For Pains au chocolat, use the other half, cut rectangle shapes of smaller width, fill some grated chocolate on one end and roll like a mat.
Transfer to a baking tray.
Brush the croissant and pain au chocolate with egg wash ( 1 egg slightly beaten with 2 tsps of milk ).
Bake in a preheated oven, at 200*c  for 15 minutes.


I was able to make six croissants and four pain au chocolate with the given quantity.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...