Thursday, 14 April 2011

Garibaldi Biscuit

Garibaldi biscuit  is a popular English tea time snack, also called squashed flies, as the currants used in these biscuits resemble squashed flies. When I read about this, the simplicity of the biscuit made me want to try. No wonder it has been popular for more than 150years, this crisp and mildly sweet biscuit is definitely worth a try. I have never been fond of biscuits coated with chocolate, but this one is an exception, may be because, I made it or  may be it was really good, I can’t say why?
This is based on a recipe by Alwyn Jones.


Ingredients
Flour                           100 g
Baking powder           1/2 tsp
Salt                              1/8 tsp
Butter                          25 g
Sugar                           25 g
Milk                             2 1/2 - 3tbsp
Black currants             50 g finely squashed
(can use other dry fruits too)


Method
Whisk the dry ingredients together.
Add milk and butter, gently mix to form a dough.
Divide the dough into two portions and roll into two separate thin sheets.
Arrange the squashed currants on one of the rolled sheet, cover this with the second sheet of the dough.
Press tightly and roll again as thin as possible.
Trim the edges and cut into squares or rectangles.
Poke holes on the surface of each biscuit.
Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle sugar.
Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes at 180*C.
When cool coat it with melted chocolate if desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...