Monday, 6 June 2011

Thengai saadham - Coconut Rice

It might take another week for my mind to set, to cook up something rich and delicious, until then recipes that were saved earlier are coming to my rescue now. Another simple recipe from the South Indian kitchen, Coconut rice is usually packed for lunch to school going kids. I am sure many will agree with me, when I say, it makes a wonderful combo with spicy roast potato. Whenever Coconut milk or grated coconut is mentioned in my recipes, I wish to point out that only fresh coconut milk or freshly grated coconut is used. When store bought, packed coconut is used it might alter the taste of the recipe.


Ingredients
Rice                                               100 g
Coconut grated                           4tbsp
Mustard + urad dal                    1tsp
Bengal gram                               1tsp
Oil                                                1tbsp
Red chilly                                    5
Roasted peanuts or cashews   1tbsp
Asafoetida  a pinch
Curry leaves

Cook the rice, spread it on a wide plate and let it cool.
Heat oil, add mustard + urad dal, when it begins to pop, add bengal gram, split red chillies, curry leaves and stir.
Add the asafoetida, grated coconut, salt and stir for a minute or so.
Remove from heat, mix in the roasted peanuts or cashews.
Add this mixture to the rice and mix thoroughly until everything is well combined.
Serve with potato roast.


For the potato roast, try using potatoes with the skin, as it enhances the taste of the roast. Since, I believe vegetables from our place are coated with pesticides, I avoid using the vegetables with skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...