Thursday, 14 July 2011

Goan Fish Curry

When you tour around the city and stop for lunch late in the afternoon, all tired and starving and if you could dig into a delicious, creamy fish curry and hot rice, then it is a divine feeling, which I happened to experience when I was in Goa, ten years back. I don’t remember what other food I had there, but for the fish curry, which I am sure I had more than once. I knew that I will make this, once back home and I did, as there wan’t much difficulty in guessing the ingredients. This gorgeous yellow Goan fish curry remains to be in my list of favourite food, which is quite contrasting from the south indian red and spicy fish curry. Goans use kokum in their cuisine , like Kodampuli used in Kerala. I am sure kokum was used in the fish curry, but tamarind is the closest ingredient that I can think of replacing kokum in this curry. I think the texture of the cooked rice  is also important to go well with the fish curry. The rice should be perfectly cooked and not overcooked or under cooked or even sticky.



Ingredients
Fish                                         250g  ( I have used Salmon)
Onion                                      1  (sliced
0Tomato                                  1  (chopped)
Ginger                                     1 inch  (julienned)
Green chillies                         2  (slit)
Cumin                                      1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder                   1/2 tsp
Chilly+coriander powder      1/2 tsp
Coconut milk                          200 ml
Tamarind                                 a small marble size soaked in water
Oil                                             1 1/2 tbsp
Salt
Curry leaves


Method
Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, when it begins to change colour, add the sliced onion, green chillies, ginger and the curry leaves. Stir until the onion is pink and soft.
Add the tomato and stir until it is cooked.
Add the turmeric powder, chilly+coriander powder, salt, stir until a thick masala is formed.
Add half a cup of water and let it boil for a few minutes, to get rid of the raw smell of the masala.
Add the tamarind extract and continue to boil for a couple of minutes.
Reduce the heat and add the coconut milk.
As it begins to boil, add the fish, close the pan and let it cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.
When done garnish with fresh curry leaves and serve with hot rice.


Note:
This is a moderately spiced curry. If desired, increase the level of spice ( chilly, chilly powder) and adjust the amount of tamarind accordingly.
I have used half a tsp of mustard for that south indian touch, which is totally optional.
I don’t know if I have mentioned this in my earlier posts, but I would like mention that Coconut milk is very helpful in curing mouth ulcers. Drink plain coconut milk, slightly rinse in the mouth so that it coats the ulcers and drink the milk. It gives instant relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...