Saturday, 13 August 2011

Nanjundan keerai/Lachakkottai keerai - Lettuce tree leaves stir fry

Nanjundan/Nachukottai/Lachakkottai - so many names, but a very commonly grown plant, that many do not know that it is edible. This plant is grown as an ornamental plant in many houses, which is actually a tree with luscious green leaves. Apparently, it helps in lowering the blood glucose level and arthritis pain, I do not how much of it is true, but I love this greens for its sweet taste and again this is also one of my mother’s recipe. These leaves will not be sold in the market, as most of them grow the plant at home, though mostly for decorative purpose.


Ingredients
Lettuce tree leaves   1 bunch (30 - 40 leaves)
Onion                          1
Garlic                          2 cloves
Pepper powder          1 tsp
Oil                                1  1/2 tsp
Salt


Remove and discard the central vein or the mid rib from each and every leaf( as seen in the picture).    Chop the leaves finely.
Heat oil in a pan, add the garlic and the chopped onion.
When the onion turns to a nice pink colour, add the chopped greens, salt, stir and cook.
When done, add the pepper powder, mix well and serve with rice or roti.


      A picture of the tree from my parent's garden


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...