Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Chocolate Mousse Cake

               The current month of september saw the celebration of 'World Chocolate day' on the 4th and the 'International Chocolate day' on the 13th, a valid reason to post a fabulous chocolate cake recipe. I was quite thrilled on seeing the 'ad' a month ago for the chocolate fair that was held here, from the 16th-18th of this month and made sure to visit it, with a loaded camera and a heavy chocolate mood, even though it involved too many inconveniences to my folks. But, on seeing the display there, all my excitement thinned down within minutes of entering. No one to blame though, I was even warned by my better half before going there that I shan’t witness anything that would impress a chocoholic. He had a good laugh teasing me for the rest of the day. If only I had listened!


                         But, it only ignited this desire for a good chocolate cake and it set the balls rolling, until one fine day, I decided, I am making it. With all the passion and a whole lot of effort, I made this gorgeous and rich chocolate mousse cake and at the first bite, I realised how much I missed this dark beauty, which will keep me satiated, say, until october. Make it to believe it. Nothing more to say. A favourite cake of mine, that I always get it as a treat from my better half, from the same bakery for over 10 years, I was totally satisfied at this moment, when I achieved making it at home. Though it would have looked better with thin layers of cake, this is all I could manage without breaking it, with a little help from my son. The chocolate cake I’ve made is a basic chocolate cake, while the mousse is from Davidlebovitz’s place, a familiar name in the blog world.



Ingredients
Chocolate Cake
Flour                                    1 cup
Butter                                   1/2 cup ( 110g)
Brown Sugar                       1 cup
Instant coffee powder         1tsp
Cocoa powder                    1/3 cup
Eggs                                     2
Vanilla                                1tsp
Milk                                    1 cup
Baking powder                  1/2 tsp
Baking Soda                      1tsp



Method
Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and sift thrice. Can use 1/4tsp salt if desired.
Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add in the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition, beat in the vanilla.
Add in the flour and milk alternatively, mixing on low speed.
Transfer to glass ware baking pan, greased with butter and bake at 180*c for about 35minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
After an hour or so, when the cake is completely cool, remove from the pan and divide the cake into three parts. Prepare the mousse.


Mousse
Ingredients
Dark chocolate          250g
Butter                         190g
Eggs                            4 (separated)
Water                         45 ml ( 3 tbsp)
Sugar                          3 tbsp ( Light brown)


Method
Combine chocolate, water, butter in a pan and on low heat, warm the mixture and stir until smooth.
Remove from heat, stir in the sugar and the egg yolks.
Fill a bowl with a few inches of very cold water, place the chocolate pan on it and beat for a few minutes until the consistency of a brownie batter.
Beat egg whites until stiff.
Fold in into the chocolate mixture until smooth and evenly mixed. Divide into two equal portions.
Moisten a muslin cloth and line the glass ware baking dish with the cloth, letting the sides hang over the edges of the dish.
Starting from the bottom piece of the cake, place one layer of the cake in the pan lined with the cloth.
Pour in one portion of the mousse.
Place the second layer of the cake and pour the second portion of the mousse over the cake.
Place the last layer of cake on the mousse, lift the sides of the damp cloth and fold it over the batter, completely enveloping it.
Chill for 15 hours.


Ganache
Dark chocolate             100 g
Cream                          1/4 cup

Bring cream to a simmer over medium heat, add this to the chocolate chunks and stir until smooth.
Unfold the muslin cloth that is covering the top of the cake, invert the glass pan on to a plate, remove the pan and carefully peel off the muslin cloth from the cake.
Pour the ganache on the cake, smooth the top and sides, chill for an hour or so and serve.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Vimala,
    Think there is a small typo in the ingredients list. Baking powder is repeated twice. You might want to change the last one to baking soda. Pl look into it.

    Thanks,
    Ayshwarya

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...