Monday, 12 September 2011

kathirikkai Dalcha for biriyani - Brinjal Curry

        Accompaniment like kathirikkai dalcha is as inevitable as onion raitha when it comes to eating biriyani in south India. There was this muslim friend of my cousin, who used to cook the same for our family get together functions, but I have never been early to watch the preparation and always we were left to discuss and guess what might have gone into the making of the dalcha, not until my niece  managed to get the recipe from him one day. Thanks to her, she promptly tried and shared it with me.  Though I always make my mother’s version of dalcha, this method was slightly different from the usual and gave an altogether different taste to the dalcha and tasted exactly the way it was expected to, if you know what I am talking about. Not only with biriyani, but it makes a good side dish for chapati and with sambhar and rice, when reduced to a thicker masala.

Ingredients
Brinjal                                                    5  (medium size)
Green chillies                                        2
Tomato                                                  3
Chilly powder + coriander powder   3/12 tsp
Tamarind                                               lemon sized ball soaked in water
Oil                                                           2 -3 tbsp
Tempering
Mustard + urad dal                              1tsp
Pepper                                                    1/2 tsp
Cumin                                                     1/2 tsp

Roast and powder
White sesame seeds                             2 tsp
Peanuts                                                  2 tbsp



Method
Heat oil in a pan, add the brinjals ( slit like a cross ) and roast until it is half cooked.
Add whole green chillies and sauté.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes become soft.
Add the chilly powder, salt, tamarind extract and bring to a boil.
Let it cook for a few minutes.
Add the powdered peanuts+ sesame, mix well and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat.
Heat a 2 tsps of oil in pan, add the mustard+urad dal, pepper, cumin and when it pops, add the tempering to the curry and serve with biriyani or roti or rice.
Note:
I was told to add the tempering ingredients right after the green chillies are sautéed. Some times I follow that and sometimes I forget and add the tempering later, but don’t forget to temper the curry, which I did once and stood wondering what went wrong with the curry and why it tastes weird.


4 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks for yummy recipe

    mahi

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this wonderful recipe.. this is my all time favorite. i tried this and it came out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since i saw this recipe, this has always been my favorite recipe for dalcha, thank you so much. My family, friends and everyone I've served it to, have loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...