Monday, 19 September 2011

Nethili Karuvadu Varuval - Dried Anchovies Fry

                                              There were many lazy afternoons, when our lunch comprised of just rice, rasam and nethili karuvadu varuval, yet, none of us would complain of the simplicity of the meal, rather we would savour the hot, sour and peppery rasam in white fluffy rice with an irresistible, spicy, dried anchovies fry, coated with the flavour of aromatic curry leaves and the sweetness of the shallots. As satisfying as a three course meal.
                                              The anchovies that we get here, are salted and dried in beach sand, so it is imperative to clean the fish thoroughly, to get rid of the sand particles and the quality may differ from place to place. The anchovies that I have used here were of good quality given to me by my mother in law and they were absolutely easy to cook and tasty to munch with rice.


Ingredients
Dried anchovies                      1 cup
Shallots                                    1 cup (sliced)
Turmeric powder                   1/2 tsp
Chilly + coriander powder    4 tsp
Oil                                             2 tbsp
Curry leaves                             few
Salt


Method
Take the dried anchovies in a bowl and add hot water so that the anchovies are completely immersed.
As it is soaking in water, pinch off the head and the tail parts from each anchovy, by the time the last of the anchovy is done with removing the head and tail, the anchovies would have become soft. Rinse the anchovies well, drain and set aside.


Heat oil in a pan, add the sliced shallots and curry leaves and sauté until it is soft and slightly crisp.
Add in the anchovies, stir for a minute, add turmeric powder, chilly + coriander powder and add salt only if necessary. ( check and add, sometimes the anchovies may be too salty)
Stir and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes until the anchovies are cooked. Serve hot with rice.


A few more words:
Lorna, if you are reading this, I was flattered by your comments and I couldn’t help you immediately, because you hadn’t given an email address, to reply.
Radha I will definitely be posting the recipe you had asked for, but I cannot say when, because, a little lazy that I am,  I cook only when my mind is set to cook a particular dish. Keep checking the blog.
Please note that, I cannot reply to your questions or help or thank you, if you don’t leave an email id.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...