Saturday, 15 October 2011

Pear Tarte Tatin

        I think I am slowly falling in love with the French Cuisine, though unconsciously. Being an avid sweet eater, the wide variety of luscious desserts in french cuisine is  drawing me close to it. The names too sound as sweet as their food, but it’s just that, with zero knowledge of the language, it’s still an embarrassment when it comes to explaining people of what I’ve cooked and thankfully, my son remembers the dish by the taste and not by names and I guess, even I’ll also remember it that way, until I learn the language some day.

     
 This glossy dessert is ridiculously sweet that the taste lingers in the mouth for a long time. It’s so easy that, it can be made effortlessly and it will not go wrong even if tried for the first time. Having made this a couple of times, I am still looking forward to make it with pineapple or banana or may be apple, as I am absolutely smitten by this dark amber beauty. When served with ice cream, the sweet caramelised pears, the buttery tart and the combined effect of the hot and cold food, hits the palate, a taste that’ll remain in my memory, even if not the name of the dessert.




Ingredients
Pears                      2 - 3
Sugar                     150 gms
Butter                    15 g
Cinnamon             1 stick
Water                    75 ml
For the pastry
Flour                     100 g
Butter                    50 g
Salt                        1/8 tsp
Fresh curd            1 tbsp


Method
The pastry can be prepared by two methods, one using hands and two, using a processor. I prefer the latter and I wouldn’t suggest the former method, because breaking cold butter with hands and rubbing into the flour is a painful task, which I have experienced and ended up with aching fingers. In my opinion using a processor is the best and the easiest method to make a pastry.



Pastry
Take the flour in the processor (mixie jar), add salt and the cold butter, cut into cubes.
Using the whip mode, pulse at short intervals, until it resembles bread crumbs.
Add in the curd and pulse shortly just once or twice in a second.
Transfer to a bowl and using hands gather the mixture to form a dough. Do not knead.
Wrap it in a plastic sheet and chill for 20 minutes.
Fruit filling
Peel, core and cut the pears into quarters.
Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, without stirring, boil until it caramelises. Add in the cinnamon  and the butter and as it melts, place the pears in the caramel, cook for five minutes on low to medium heat. Turn over the pears and continue to cook for another 5 minutes in the caramel. Remove from heat.
Take out the dough, keeping it between plastic sheets, roll out to a circular sheet.
Take a pyrex baking dish, arrange the pears in a circular pattern, with the cored side of the pears facing upwards,  pour in the caramel, and gently place the rolled dough on top, covering the pears. Tuck in at the sides without leaving any gap.
Brush the top with melted butter and bake at 200*c for about 45 minutes.
When done, immediately invert it on to a plate and serve hot with cold ice cream, preferably strawberry ice-cream.
Here, I have served with yogurt ice cream ( blue berry ).


Note:
I used 2 1/2 pears, since that is all my pan could hold.
If you do not wish the caramel to soak through the pastry then use only 100 gms of sugar, which will be just right to get perfectly caramelised pears and a crisp pastry, without getting wet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...