Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Kambu Dosai - Pearl Millet Dosa

                                          If Christmas is all about ‘Food and Wine', gathering of ‘Family and Friends', ‘Gifts and Joy', then I think I had a  fair bit of my share this past christmas. There were a bunch of us gathered in an old couple’s crib for christmas, who were visibly pleased to be the host and it was the extreme warmth and the hospitality displayed by the couple that was more satisfying than the wonderful food spread. It’s disturbing to note that, we enjoyed a hearty meal and a congenial atmosphere in the midst of a group of malayalam speaking people, even as we hear and read about violent attacks on keralites in Tamil nadu and tamils in kerala, over the dam issue. If not for the intrusion of the politicians, I guess people of the two states, still and will always share a healthy relationship.


                          ‘2012' dawned beautifully, with laughter, cakes, crackers, late night chatting, movies and a sumptuous food. Surrounded by a good number of chatty and dynamic nieces and all our dear ones, the celebration could not have been better. Overall it was a great start for a new year.  The following day, my sleep deprived eyes refused to cooperate, as a result of which I paid someone a brown piece of paper thinking it is 10 rupee note in a sleepy state!
                             Last year I don’t think I was strictly sticking to my blog’s concept of spreading the 'southern aroma'. A little affinity towards the french cuisine and baking, had deviated my attention from the blog’s theme. So, I am starting with an authentic south Indian recipe and a healthy breakfast, just to remind myself the reason I started 'KR' for.  


Ingredients
Pearl Millet                            1 cup
Urad dal                                  1/4 cup
Parboiled rice or Idly rice    1/4 cup
Salt                                           1 1/4 tsp
Oil



Method
Combine pearl millet, urad dal, rice and rinse well with water.
Add enough water to the above mixture and soak for 3 hours.
Grind to a fine batter, add salt and let it ferment overnight or for about 8 hours.
Pour some batter on a hot tawa and spread to make a thin dosa. Drizzle 1/2 tsp of oil on the dosai to crisp up. 
Turn it over and cook on the other side. Serve with chutney or Thakkali thokku ( Tomato chutney).


Here I have served with a different style of tomato chutney:
Temper mustard + urad dal in oil, add a few curry leaves,  split red chillies, a pinch of asafoetida powder.
Add chopped  tomatoes, garlic cloves, turmeric powder, salt and sauté until it’s cooked. Add little water and cook for a few more minutes. Serve with idly or dosai.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...