Thursday, 26 April 2012

Green Omelette

                      The truth is I hate omelette. I love scrambled eggs, but not omelette. My idea of omelette for many years, was to break an egg on a hot tawa and sprinkle some salt and pepper, definitely not my kind of food. That’s what I did when I was told to make an omelette in the college canteen, by a senior in college, during post graduation, as part of ragging. He sat there questioning me if this is what I call an omelette and told me to eat it. Since, I wasn’t happy with his attitude, I walked off, clearly making it a point that, I don’t like omelettes and since he asked for it, he can either eat it or throw it, leaving him behind speechless. A week later, the same guy, came asking for vote in the college election and sheepishly smiled, when he told me to forget the omelette issue and vote for him. Did I ?...


                     I love travelling by trains and it has always intrigued me as there is something mystical about the whole thing, the train, the journey and the people from all walks of life, always seem to convey some message and I love to observe, this myriad of feelings expressed among these people, happiness, sadness, excitement, emptiness and although they all have different reasons to travel, it is a journey filled with  hope for all.


                     I love train journey, because, it is comfortable ( if the seat is reserved!), free to move around, can have a good view of the country side, I can stretch my legs - yes, that’s very important, can take a good nap with gentle wind on my face( If the seat is not close to the toilet!), can read a book, chat, play, what not? Train journeys are not complete and it won’t be interesting without the multitude of vendors who pass by every few minutes selling drinks, food, key chains, toys and knick knacks. The most popular food being coffee and tea, bread omelette, cutlets, samosa and soup, during one of his train journey as a child, my son was very attracted to these foods, especially, bread omelette, just the sound of it was very tempting to me as well. Neither the food nor the drink sold in trains is of good standard or taste, true to this, the bread omelette made with whipped eggs, cooked with some onions, was so bland and tasteless and once again I hated omelette!

                                                                               The egg beater that makes fluffy omelette in minutes

                   This recipe for the green omelette is based on a spicy french toast recipe that I happened to watch on T.V a decade ago, since the toast was not received well, I never made it again. When I was thinking of ways to make a spicy omelette, I decided to twist the recipe to make this green omelette, which always surprises everyone with its flavour.


                     I taste all the food that I prepare to make adjustments or whatsoever, but not an omelette, even with this green omelette, that I have been making, for quite some time, I relied totally upon my son and better half’s opinion. But, last sunday, I had my first taste of this green omelette, when I made this for breakfast, just a little bit, but later wished I could have had more. An omelette that I finally like, but still, I would prefer scrambled eggs with onions!


Ingredients
Eggs                                                2
Shallots                                          1/4 cup
Garlic                                             2 cloves
Ginger                                            1 inch piece
Coriander leaves/mint leaves    1 1/2 tbsp ( finely chopped) or say, a little less than 1/4 cup
Green chilly                                   1
Turmeric powder                          a pinch
Tomato                                           1 (small)
Chilly powder or Paprika            to taste (optional)



Method
Cut the tomato into two halves, scoop out the pulp and discard. Chop the remaining tomato in small squares. Keep it aside.
Combine shallots, garlic, ginger, coriander leaves, green chilly in a processor and mince finely ( do not make a paste)
Beat the eggs until double in volume.
Add the turmeric powder, salt, the minced shallot mixture and mix gently.
Heat a tawa, transfer the egg mixture onto the tawa, drizzle 1/4 tsp of oil around the omelette, close it with a lid and cook on low heat for a minute or so. If you want only one side of the omelette to be browned, then sprinkle the chopped tomato and paprika/chilly powder ( if using), close with the lid and cook until the bottom and the top of the omelette is cooked.
If not, when the bottom is cooked, sprinkle the chopped tomato and chilly powder or paprika,  flip to over to cook on the other side.
Serve with bread and have with more chopped tomatoes and coriander leaves or may be some cheese too, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...