Friday, 29 June 2012

Maa,Pala,Vazhai,Then,Panikoozh - Mango, Jackfruit and Banana Icecream With Honey

                                       I am not fond of ice creams, if I were to choose between a cake and an ice cream, I would go for the former and I definitely loathe the combination of the two. I generally dislike food that is either too hot or too cold. I can never hastily eat an ice cream or very hot food when I am extremely hungry, as both the action infuriates me. I believe that our sense of taste will be null at these extreme temperatures and the food cannot be enjoyed to the hilt. For a long time my most preferred dessert was fruit salad with some vanilla ice-cream, later when I first tasted ice-cream with jelly, that became my favourite, now mostly I just stick to my all time favourite, mango ice cream. For the simple reason that, I don’t like teeth-rattling desserts, I have never made an ice cream at home, until now, that is, only if I can call this an ice cream! My thought was to make a pie with the fruits, instead, for some reason, (too lazy?) I proceeded to make this frozen dessert and I loved it. This will not taste like any of your regular ice creams, it has the taste of the fruit mixture, the caramel and with the honey, it gives a slight feeling like you are having frozen 'panchamirtham'.



 I adapted my mango pudding recipe to make this maa, pala, vazhai ice-cream. It's a hassle free dessert, as it involves no cooking, only, a little whipping and a little mixing. Unless told, no one will ever guess the flavour of the ice cream. But, I do warn that, people who do not have a sweet tooth, will find the taste a bit too strong.


How to make Dulce de leche - Caramelised Sugar in Milk

In the mango pudding recipe, I had used condensed milk, this time I tried with dulce de leche and cream. To make the dulce de leche, fill a tall cooking pot with water and place a small plate inside the pot and bring to a boil. Place the condensed milk can ( unopened can) on the plate, in the pot. Partially cover the pot, reduce the heat completely to low and leave it cook for about 2 1/4 hours. Let it remain in the pot until everything cools down. The can should be opened only when it is completely cool. Make sure that the water level is always a few inches above the can through out the cooking period. You can cook for a further 3/4 hour for a darker caramel and never try to open when it is still hot.




Maa, Pala, Vazhai Panikoozh - Mango, Jackfruit and Banana Ice cream

Ingredients
Dulce de leche             1 can (400 g)
Fresh cream                 2 cups (400 ml)
Mixed fruit                   1 1/2 cup ( I used 1 mango, 2 small bananas and more or less, 10 jackfruit kernels)
Grated coconut            1/3 cup
Vanilla                          1/4 tsp
Honey


Method
Blend the fruits and the coconut to a fine puree.( Should measure about 2 cups)
Transfer the fruit puree to a bowl and stir in the dulce de leche  and vanilla, until mixed.
Whip the cream until soft peaks form and fold in to the fruit mixture.
When everything is well mixed, transfer to an airtight box and freeze until set. Preferably overnight.
Serve the ice cream with a generous drizzling of honey. That makes the difference.


Note:
You can use condensed milk instead of dulce de leche.
I have used 1/3 cup of grated coconut, you can use more if desired and toast it for a rich coconut flavour.
You can adjust the quantity of all the ingredients, if you feel the taste of any of the ingredient is overpowering.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...