Tuesday, 26 June 2012

Thinai Urundai - Foxtail Millet Balls

                  I think I have kickstarted a village feast with corn oothappam and I can promise you that in the following weeks, you are going to see an extravaganza of village delicacies in kitchen Rhapsody. Since the present generation is used to only rice based food, I would suggest to incorporate millets in their diet in a sweet form in the beginning. Whether it is thinai or kambu or ragi, I am not going to say it tastes extraordinary, because it’s more of an acquired taste, something that you will like eventually, by eating regularly in some form or the other.


                              My father who has been eating ragi for more than thirty years, still calls ragi a black monster, every time he is served a ragi dosa or kali. Anything introduced new will be detested initially, but in course of time, we will  get accustomed to it. Thinai Urundai (Foxtail Millet balls) is a healthy snack for kids and well liked by grown ups too. If you are prepared to welcome millets in your food, then you will love this. These healthy balls reminds me of my neighbour, a childless couple, who used to share this with us almost every year when she makes and I must say,  I loved her version more than my mother’s. Now, I only carry the memory of her delicious food, her sweet mangoes, green lemons, and her family, as she has moved away and there stands a huge flat in the place of a lovely house that was once surrounded by trees and garden. Everything keeps changing, just like our food. Pathetic!



 Ingredients
Thinai(foxtail millet)              1 cup
Grated Jaggery                        1 cup
Cardamom Powder                 1/4 tsp
Coconut                                     1/2 cup (chopped into small pieces )
Ghee                                          1 tsp
Water                                        2 cups


Method
Roast thinai on low-medium heat, stirring continuously, for about three minutes.
Let it cool.
Grind the roasted thinai to a fine powder. Now the powdered thinai will measure about 1 1/2 cups. keep it aside.
Add water to the jaggery and melt on low heat.
Strain the melted jaggery and bring the jaggery water to a boil. Add the cardamom powder.
Add the Thinai powder and the coconut pieces and stir on medium heat, continuously until the mixture gathers to a ball. ( The consistency at this stage will be like a kali, keep stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens)
Let it cool.
Greese your palm with a little ghee and make small balls.
Place the thinai balls on a greased idly plate and steam cook for about 10 minutes.


Note:
If you do not want the Thinai urundai to be too sweet, use only 3/4 cup of jaggery, especially if making for old people.
If you like a strong cardamom flavour, use 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...