Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Inippu Sev/Cheeni Sev - Sweet Sev

                        If you thought Kovilpatti and Sattur are popular only for its Kadalaimittai and kaarasev, then it is clearly evident that you have not tasted the Inippu sev or Cheeni Sev, the sweet version of sev. Last year, when I was thrusted with two kilograms of Inippu sev in my hand, bought by a family friend, I wasn't happy, because I knew I will end up eating the whole lot and after distributing some, that's what happened!  Inippu sev happens to be everyone's favourite, even a non sweet eater among us loves this sweet treat.



                     The special feature of this sev is that, each and every finger sized sev appears like it is snow clad ( pani pootharpol) with white sugar lumps coating them unevenly and one that melts in your mouth on the first crunchy bite along with the sugar. I am not the only person to find it irresistible to control my portion, even my diabetic father and uncle couldn't keep their hands off the fresh sev from my kitchen. We love sweets, it runs in the blood. 


Now that you know the traditional method of making karasev,  I find this festive period the right time to post the sweet version of the sev too. 
Ingredients
Gram flour            1 cup ( home made preferably) ( see how to make in karasev post)
Rice flour               1/8 cup ( home made)
Salt                      1/4 tsp
Oil                       1 tbsp
Syrup
Sugar                   1 cup 
Water                  1/2 cup
Cardamom            5


Method
Sift gram flour and rice flour to remove any lumps.
Combine bengal gram flour, rice flour and salt.
Add oil and rub evenly into the flour mixture.
Add water and knead to a soft and thick dough.
Use the holes in a mandoline ( see motta sev ) and press the dough against the holes for the sev to fall directly into hot oil.
Fry the sev on low-med heat just until cooked. Do not let it brown.


 Make the syrup
Combine sugar and water, stir to dissolve on medium heat.
Let it boil until it reaches soft ball consistency.
( Drop a small amount of syrup in water and try picking it up and form a ball, that is the right stage)
Add the Crushed cardamom and keeping the syrup on low heat, add the fried sev and stir continuously to coat with the sugar, but without breaking the sev. 
As you stir the sugar will thicken, remove from heat and immediately transfer to a plate. The sugar coating on the sev, on cooling will harden further.


Note:
I would always suggest to use homemade flours for all kinds of cooking. Try and you will see the difference it gives to the food. I use homemade flours for all my recipes.
I have used raw sugar which is slightly dullish in colour and not pure white. Originally Inippusev has pure white coatings like snow, but since the sugar I have used is not polished it will not appear as white as it should be, but taste wise there's no compromise, it tastes brilliant just as the original. 
The fried sev, without the sugar coating, as it is makes a wonderful snack or can be used to make subjis or used in mixtures.
Although I did not use dried ginger powder in the syrup, the cardamoms which I crushed using a mortar and pestle that I regularly use to crush dried ginger, gave a mild dried ginger flavour to the sev and it was particularly liked by all. So, if desired add quarter tsp of dried ginger powder to the sugar syrup.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think
Hiya all,
Finally on this day of october the 1st, 2012, I have decided to include the comment form, after a long gap of two years. But, I am going to be a bit selfish here and keep all those nice and lovely things that is said for me and only me to cherish and will be sharing any queries that requires clarifications and your experience about the food if you have tried my recipes. So, drop in a word if you have anything to say and thanks a lot for stopping by.
"Have a nice day"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...